Safety & security
Roomies puts a lot of time and effort into keeping the community as safe and secure as possible and the majority of members wonderful friendly caring people like you.
However it's still important to follow our safety tips:
- Never transfer money unless you have viewed the property and met the roommates
- If something is too good to be true proceed with extreme caution and report anything suspicious
- Use our free secure messaging system to communicate until you are comfortable sharing your personal details
- Check in with a friend before and after a viewing if you are going alone
- It is totally OK to take a friend with you when you meet people for the first time
- If you are feeling uneasy or uncomfortable about a situation then call a friend and remove yourself
To help Roomies maintain a safe and genuine community users are required to verify themselves before interacting with other members.
Mobile verification (Required)
In order to activate a listing, access mobile or social media details or send messages users are required to verify their mobile number. Mobile number verification involves receiving a code by SMS which you enter on the website. You should never share this code with anyone else.
During mobile verification you can also choose if your mobile number is available to other verified users of if it remains private, this can also be changed in account settings.
Social media verifications (Recommended)
Verifying social media accounts increases trust and transparency, resulting in more inquiries and responses to your messages. Social media profiles allow other users to quickly access information meaning finding a roomie is simpler and quicker.
Through your listing or dashboard you can verify Facebook, Linkedin, Instagram, Twitter or Spotify. These verification are displayed on your listing and other verified users can click through to your public profile on these sites. You also have the option of verifying your social accounts but keeping the details private.
Our security system
Roomies also has a sophisticated security system which looks at anomalies in user behaviour and quarantines users for review. The system is very effective but now and then users slip through. If you see your account is pending security checks then please be patient, this is us doing our best to keep the community safe.
How you can help
If you have come across a suspicious listing or a user then report them with the link on their listing or through the messaging system. If the problem happened offline then remember to send screenshots to firstname.lastname@example.org so we have the evidence we need to investigate.